Making the most of a self-storage unit is an art that some people take very seriously. Being able to pack more boxes, more inventory and more equipment takes practice and some thought but, if done right, you can get everything to fit and still have some room left over. If you are getting ready to load up a storage unit, warehouse or garage keep reading as our “Getting the Most Out of a Self-Storage Unit” has some helpful tips and advice that you can use today. Here are some tips from Action Storage, the UK’s leading shelving and storage professionals, to help you get the most out of your self-storage unit:
When packing your boxes:
- Make a detailed list of what you have in each box and label the outside of the box. This will make it easier to find certain items without having to open every box.
- Try to use only two sizes of box to store your items in. This will make stacking easier and can help in organising your storage area. It will also help you make better use of shelving systems.
- Pack as much of your inventory as you can in boxes to keep it clean and dust free.
- Fill boxes completely but be sure to not overfill them or make the boxes too heavy. Heavy boxes will tip over if stacked improperly and they will be more difficult to move. Heavy boxes are also more prone to breaking open when stacking on higher shelves.
- Pack breakable or fragile inventory and equipment in bubble wrap or packing paper.
- Seal boxes with packing tape to keep dust out.
Organizing Your Self-Storage Area
Whether you plan to store your items in a self-storage unit, warehouse or a spare room, adding modular shelving units from Action Storage can make organising hassle free.
- Make a plan of how you will put the boxes in the storage area.
- Use raised shelving to stack your boxes on if possible. This can help prevent insects and rodents from making homes in or under your boxes.
- Stack boxes so you can access them easily. Create aisle ways if you have the space.
- Dismantle office furniture and equipment if possible to save space and fit more into your storage area.
Making the most of your storage space is important if you want to save money and prevent damage to your business’ inventory. Another important aspect to consider is choosing the right shelving company for you. Action Storage is the UK’s leading shelving and storage locker provider and we have a wide range of products available to meet your needs. Contact us today.